Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Of short attention span and lack of attentiveness

Why that title today? Because i am so very upset just before i wrapped up my day in office. I am someone with a short attention span. I cannot sit down and quietly watch time tickle by. I fall asleep within 10 secs if the presentation does not interest me, and spend the next 99.9% of the time pinching to keep myself awake. I cant say i have been very successful though.

I just tell myself, that sometimes, having a short attention span is good, in giving yourself many chances to experience news things and move on, until you find something that really intrigues you. So what is intriguing enough? When i can constantly find new things to grow and develop with.

Nonetheless, i am someone dedicated in work too. So, i was very upset when my colleague told me "i dunno what you have been doing.". I told him that i couldn't finish my presentation and was accused of dilly-dallying. My response to that would be: I did the presentation as at the pace good for my own understanding. Is it wrong to do that? Point(s) being:

1. I hate sweeping statements. Especially when people do not understand the situation fully and pretend to be know-it-all. That attitude sucks.

2. Sometimes, the whole purpose of work is not merely to work. Especially when you can define the quadrant which you are in, and you know you can add further meaning to what you are doing by enjoying it. People who are only keen in finishing their own work a.s.a.p. will never understand that. What's the whole purpose if you only slog, slog and only know how to slog yourself haggard? I do not need to be taught to prioritise my own time, because, i deem myself to have always delivered on time, and planned properly, unless people give unreasonable and last minute additions. Who will know the effort that is being put in?

Anyway, just to rant about it and remind myself not to be too quick to judge. 对事不对人。

Let me try to be positive. I had a good fish soup. With just $3, i get lotsa fish, flavourful soup (tomatoes, sichuan preserved veg, lettuce, fish n more fish, dried fish, parsley, dried onion, dong cai). Simply Yummy. I would not even have realized that so much goes into the soup until i list the ingredients down.

Okie dokies. Back to my presentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home